This self directed learning package is aimed at Registered Nurses (RNs) DIV 1 and DIV 2 ME (medication endorsed), RNs DIV 2, PCW (Personal Care Workers), kitchen staff, cleaners, laundry staff, activities/lifestyle staff and management within residential aged care services. The session will facilitate and enhance understanding of what constitutes elder abuse and the compulsory reporting legislative requirements and compliance. At the end of this session the participants will complete knowledge based questionnaire that is a part of successful completion of the training. This session is designed as a self-directed learning package but can be run as a face to face session on site or at an external venue.
- To identify the different forms of abuse
- To recognize the signs of symptoms of different types of abuse
- To understand legislative requirements of compulsory reporting
- To understand the process for compulsory reporting
- To locate and comprehend specific facilities elder abuse procedure
- To know the roles and responsibilities of Approved Provider and staff in relation to mandatory reporting
- To understand the role of the Department of Health and Ageing and Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency in relation to compulsory reporting
- Our responsibilities
- The Abuse of Older People;
- Abuse in Residential Aged Care Facilities; Physical Abuse, Psychological Abuse/ Emotional Abuse, Sexual Abuse, Neglect, Social Abuse and Financial Abuse
- Key Elements to Compulsory Reporting Requirements
- Reporting to the Department of Health and Ageing;
- Special circumstances where there is discretion not to report
- Responding to allegations of assault on a resident
- Role of Department of Health and Ageing
- Role of Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency
- Compulsory Reporting and Elder Abuse, Knowledge Questionnaire
Theory – practical timeframe
Theory component 1 hour, Knowledge Questionnaire Assessment 30 minutes
Written theory assessment is completed at the end of the session
Certificate of attendance will be issued on completion of the course.
This activity has been endorsed by APEC number 012030901 on behalf of Royal College of Nursing, Australia according to approved criteria.
Please click the button below to download the course outline PDF.
PDF DOWNLOAD LINK